Dismiss Notice

Register now to be one of the first members of this SharePoint Community! Click here it just takes seconds!

Dismiss Notice
Welcome Guest from Country Flag

View Link List From Parent Site on Child Site - Don't Have SP Designer (SP 2010)

Discussion in 'SharePoint Blogs' started by Microsoft SharePoint, Dec 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Microsoft SharePoint

Microsoft SharePoint Guest

Blog Posts:
    Let's start with the obvious. If I had SP designer, all of the posts on Google would be helpful and I wouldn't be asking! Sadly, I am not permitted to have it so I am forced to try to find a workaround if there is one. I have a list of weblinks on my parent/team site which we will call (parentSite.com/myTeam/lists/myList/AllItems.aspx). I want to be able to display it and its custom views if there is a way to do so on the several child sites that reside under my team's main page (parentSite.com/myTeam/childSite). The idea is to have one location/list for the links to reside on the main page and then display them on all of the other pages for quick access without having to maintain 5-6 copies of the same list across each child site. A couple specific things we identified for usage were grouping like items (if a web application had 3 links they are grouped by the application) and we have one custom column that could contain multiple lines of text which is necessary for one of the views (more on these when I discuss things I tried).

So far, I have tried:

• Using the RSS feed, but that makes each link show up separately instead of being grouped together and is not formatted the way I want it to be. If there is a way to see what the XML underlying the RSS is, and how I can customize it to format the columns we are using so everything displays right, then it might be an option... as is, it's a no-go.

• The content query tool. It's sort of OK except it doesn't display all the columns I need and there is no way that I have found to format the output to get SP to show the large text column.

• The page viewer imports the whole web page and not just the list itself which is pointless - I just need the information from the list.

• The content editor might be an option since I should be able to enter some custom JavaScript but I haven't been able to find any examples that seem to work to pull down the list. I think it's more likely I am failing to put in the location for the actual data from the list or something internally is blocking the connection.

At the moment I seem to be stuck with having to just put in a link to the parent list which means the links are not displayed on each page as a convenient reference. While it is only one extra click, I would prefer to do it my way if there is a way to get it done.

TL;DR: SP2010. Don't/can't have SP Designer. Need a way to display list on child pages in same Site Collection.

submitted by WebWombat
    [link]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.