Dismiss Notice

Register now to be one of the first members of this SharePoint Community! Click here it just takes seconds!

Dismiss Notice
Welcome Guest from Country Flag

Suggestions for list workflow linking metadata from different folder.

Discussion in 'SharePoint Blogs' started by /u/sharepointnewb1, Mar 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. /u/sharepointnewb1

/u/sharepointnewb1 Guest

Blog Posts:
    Hi!

I have been learning SharePoint 2013 as a site owner for the past couple of months, and I'm trying to write a workflow in Designer to keep track of specific document submissions throughout a site using a central list. Here's how it's set up:

I have a set list with all the specific documents I want to track, with columns: name, ID, frequency of update (monthly, quarterly, semi-annually, annually), link to folder location of document, last update, next update for document, person responsible for upload, internal end user of document.

The problem I'm having is I would like for the workflow to use the column where the actual document location is (link to folder location), and populate the last modified date into the list column "last update". I have set up the various document folders so that only the newest document will be kept there, with automatic routing to an "archive" folder ten days before the next due date. This workflow waits until 3 days before the next due date to check if the document location has been updated, then sends email reminders to the person responsible for upload.

Any suggestions? Right now the column "link to document" is formatted as a hyperlink, the "last update column" is formatted as a lookup, but isn't working. I thought about a calculated column for the "last update" but I can't insert the field "link to file folder" and it doesn't seem to connect to the actual link location anyways. I also thought about a site workflow that is triggered during the list workflow...?

Thanks for all your input- sorry if this is a really basic question but I've been struggling with it for a week now.

submitted by /u/sharepointnewb1
    [link] [comments]

Continue reading...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.