Dismiss Notice

Register now to be one of the first members of this SharePoint Community! Click here it just takes seconds!

Dismiss Notice
Welcome Guest from Country Flag

Sharing .NET generic code under the hood

Discussion in 'Official Microsoft News' started by Yi Zhang - CLR, Apr 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yi Zhang - CLR

Yi Zhang - CLR Guest

Blog Posts:
    If you come from a C++ programming background, you are most likely already familiar with C++’s template code bloat problem. Each template instantiation gets its own copy of the code (of course, compiler/linker can optimize by throwing away unused methods). The reason being that C++ template are more like C macro on steriods. I know this is a great simplification, but at the end of the day, it is pretty much a code expansion feature with type safety. This grants C++ some powerful capabilities that C# developers don’t have – like template specialization, or calling arbitary methods on a template class, or a whole different programming paradigm that’s known as template meta-programming. On the other hand, .NET generics require you to define what operations can be perform on T using constraints (otherwise you are limited to a small set of operations such as casts, assignments, etc). However, this does give .NET a unique advantage – it can do a better job at code sharing.

I’ve moved my blog over to yizhang82.me. You can find the full post here: http://yizhang82.me/dotnet-generics-sharing

Continue reading...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.