Dismiss Notice

Register now to be one of the first members of this SharePoint Community! Click here it just takes seconds!

Dismiss Notice
Welcome Guest from Country Flag

Master page question. Google's not turning up what I need.

Discussion in 'Official Microsoft News' started by Microsoft SharePoint, Dec 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Microsoft SharePoint

Microsoft SharePoint Guest

Blog Posts:
    Short story: What I'm trying to do is apply a custom master page to a select few site pages, but I'm not sure this is possible. (This is all being worked in SharePoint 2010, btw)

I'm very new to this, so bear with me. I may not even have the vocabulary to explain this correctly. [I'm a tech writer who has been tasked with overhauling an org's SharePoint site. I only have a rudimentary understanding of HTML, but no matter...the org is going to get this done cheaply.] Any advice would be much appreciated.

From what I see in the settings--and from what I don't see when Googling this issue--is that you can apply different masters, but doing this will change all publishing pages or all forms and view pages. You can't just apply the custom master to a few publishing pages, for example. Is this correct?

In all my Googling, I did find one blog post that suggested changing the code for each page (as follows), but the post was brief and I couldn't tell how legit it was:

Original:

<%@ Page Language=”C#” Inherits=”Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.WikiEditPage” MasterPageFile=”~masterurl/default.master” meta:webpartpageexpansion=”full” meta:progid=”SharePoint.WebPartPage.Document” %>

Modified:

<%@ Page Language=”C#” Inherits=”Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.WikiEditPage” MasterPageFile=”~site/_catalogs/masterpage/v4.master” meta:webpartpageexpansion=”full” meta:progid=”SharePoint.WebPartPage.Document” %>

What do you guys think?

Bonus question:

I have created my custom page in SharePoint Designer (by copying the v4 master). In theory, should I then be able to see this master available in the Master Pages and Page Layouts gallery? It's not there. I'm working in a sandbox which appears to have all other permissions, but my theory is that I don't have some permissions for whatever server this is all parked on.

submitted by pneradactyll
    [link]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.