Dismiss Notice

Register now to be one of the first members of this SharePoint Community! Click here it just takes seconds!

Dismiss Notice
Welcome Guest from Country Flag

Managing libraries with large (and quickly increasing) numbers of files.

Discussion in 'SharePoint Blogs' started by Microsoft SharePoint, Dec 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Microsoft SharePoint

Microsoft SharePoint Guest

Blog Posts:
    We have rolled out a large number of sharepoint sites (Via Office 3265) over the past 2 years, and recently a few of these clients have FINALLY started to utilise the document management system properly.

One of the side effects of this has been the increase of documents in libraries.

As we all know there is currently a view limit of 5000 items in a list or library. This can be worked around by using views filtering based on indexed columns or content types to bring the item count below 5000.

Do you guys see this as an adequate solution?

My question arises from a recent customers increased usage of sharepoint, these guys are uploading ~20 to 100 documents daily and have gone over the 5000 file limit. The business is Client based and has a client base of around 3500. I have been using a client 'list' to sort and index the files in the library via a lookup, and have created views based on the clients (alphabetically, A - C, D - F etc....). This is a reliable short term resolution but to me seems a little...messy.

I have been considering changing this system and implementing a system where each client has a library. This should resolve the issue for good, but requires quite a lot of set up and training. This seems tidier and easier to manage re: archival of clients data in the future etc, but also a little clunky.

I am aware that this limit is to be addressed in 2016 release, but how are you guys dealing with this issue currently?

BTW - I'm not necessarily looking for a solution but interested in starting a discussion around how we are all handling this situation.

TIA

submitted by MoneyCantBuyMeLove
    [link]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.