Dismiss Notice

Register now to be one of the first members of this SharePoint Community! Click here it just takes seconds!

Dismiss Notice
Welcome Guest from Country Flag

Issues with Excel crashing while using Sharepoint based files

Discussion in 'SharePoint Blogs' started by /u/lumpy1981, Apr 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. /u/lumpy1981

/u/lumpy1981 Guest

Blog Posts:
    Our company is small and we have a shared drive that we migrated to sharepoint a few years ago. The total size of the data on sharepoint is probably in the 50gb to 100gb range. We have noticed 2 really annoying issues of late:

1. Excel crashing when multiple excel files are opened at once.

2. A message when opening a file that says "a newer version of this file is available want to open it?" where saying yes just closes the file opens it again and gives the same message. The only way around this is to cancel the notification and save the file as a new file and upload that file to the drive.

We also would really like to use sharepoint more like a mapped drive than an online collaboration where you need to constantly check in and check out files and can have people making changes real time together. We don't have a need for that advanced capability. We just need a place people can all go to access our companies files just like a mapped drive.

Anyone who has insight into these issues or any knowledge of how we can use sharepoint the way I described would be greatly appreciated. I would also appreciate it if you could let me know that it is not possible to use Sharepoint the way we would like.

Originally, I was looking to move our company to Dropbox for business because I used Dropbox and that is exactly how we would like to use our system. But we also decided to get Microsoft 365 and an Exchange email server and we were led to believe that sharepoint would work as we wanted. If this isn't the case we would like to know.

submitted by /u/lumpy1981
    [link] [comments]

Continue reading...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.