Dismiss Notice

Register now to be one of the first members of this SharePoint Community! Click here it just takes seconds!

Dismiss Notice
Welcome Guest from Country Flag

InfoPath Form Load rules unexpectedly running multiple times

Discussion in 'SharePoint Blogs' started by /u/dlafbsci, Apr 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. /u/dlafbsci

/u/dlafbsci Guest

Blog Posts:
    Right away, I'd like to lay out my theory regarding my problem: Submitting and closing and reopening a form seems to be a different "thing" than simply submitting.

I have a form that during Form Load sets a filename via the classic userName+now concat. It also grabs and displays a SharePoint ID number on the form via a double submit (Submit, Query, Set ID Field, Submit). Both of these rules run on the condition "is blank", so opening already submitted forms does not change these values. I do this during Form Load rather than the final Submit because this form in addition to being electronically submitted must also be physically printed out; I can't expect users to close-reopen-print-close rather than just print-close.

Now to the issue: Particular users (not everyone) seem to have an odd issue where several submissions are happening in rapid succession (under an assumed single click). In just one random example I saw a user had a 2nd doc created 10 seconds later, a 3rd 7 seconds after that, and a 4th 1(!) second later.

I'm partially able to recreate this problem myself, by starting a new form and then refreshing my browser. Each time I click refresh instead of returning to the same filename and ID it creates a new document again! This seems odd to me because the form has already been submitted to the SharePoint - neither of the rules that create a new filename or fetch an ID number should run, because those values are not blank. And yet, it acts as though nothing is filled in, so it creates a new document.

Curiously, if I add a new document, then close the form and reopen it, I can refresh the browser as many times as I want and it acts as expected - retaining the same filename and ID.

So what's happening here? Why does a document I just created, and has been submitted twice via rules, behave differently than a form I actually close and reopen? My guess is that whatever causes this behavior is what's causing the issue for my users. Maybe a weak Wi-Fi signal or some browser configuration is causing their browser to "refresh" a few times before settling? Google has finally failed me ;)

submitted by /u/dlafbsci
    [link] [comments]

Continue reading...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.