Dismiss Notice

Register now to be one of the first members of this SharePoint Community! Click here it just takes seconds!

Dismiss Notice
Welcome Guest from Country Flag

Creating a device check-in/check-out log, having problems.

Discussion in 'SharePoint Blogs' started by /u/drvoke, Mar 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. /u/drvoke

/u/drvoke Guest

Blog Posts:
    So, I've been tasked with creating a check-in/check-out system for some devices in our office through SharePoint.

Right now, I have one list set up, and when someone wants to add a new log entry, they just add a new list item. When they need to update a list item (like when a device gets checked back in) they have to edit the correct list item to indicate that the item has been checked back in, and when. This is terrible for obvious reasons, not the least of which because we REALLY need to keep track of who has these devices and this method is prone to error.

What I would prefer is for there to be one form the user navigates to, they choose which device they are checking out/in, and have the form decide whether to display the check-in or check-out section by validating based on the device they choose. So if they choose device 1234, and it's been checked out, they'll be presented with the form to check the device in. If they choose device 4321 and it's currently checked-in, I'd like them to be presented with the check-out form.

Two things make this extremely difficult: First, I do not have access to SharePoint Designer. Secondly, I do not have access to Visual Studio. Therefore, I can't implement any solutions that require code or the use of Designer.

Is it possible to do what I want with only access to InfoPath Designer? If SharePoint Designer is free (no additional license fees required to give me access), I can probably get the organization to deploy it on my machine, however...

submitted by /u/drvoke
    [link] [comments]

Continue reading...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.