Dismiss Notice

Register now to be one of the first members of this SharePoint Community! Click here it just takes seconds!

Dismiss Notice
Welcome Guest from Country Flag

How to enable C# 7 in Visual Studio 2017

Discussion in 'Official Microsoft News' started by benjaminperkins, Mar 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benjaminperkins

benjaminperkins Guest

Blog Posts:
    I was working with Visual Studio 2017 and found that 4.6.2 is not installed as default yet, so I wrote this article here about that. In that article I also point out that you need to install the System.ValueType NuGet package to the Tuples capabilities to work.

This time I wanted to get the Pattern Matching C# 7 feature to work using this method. Real quick the solution is the install the Microsoft.Net.Compilers package.

protected void WhichShape(object o)
    {
    switch (o)
    {
    case Triangle t:
    labelTriangle.Text = ($"{t.Width} x {t.Height} x {t.Base} triangle");
    break;
    case Rectangle s when (s.Width == s.Height):
    labelSquare.Text = $"{s.Width} x {s.Height} square";
    break;
    case Rectangle r:
    labelRectangle.Text = $"{r.Width} x {r.Height} rectangle";
    break;
    case null:
    throw new ArgumentNullException(nameof(o));
    default:
    labelException.Text = "<unknown shape>";
    break;
    }
    }

When I compiled an ASP.NET Application without the Microsoft.Net.Compilers installed I received the following exceptions, Figure 1:

1>------ Build started: Project: csharpseven, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
    1>c:usersbenperkdocumentsvisual studio 2017Projectscsharpsevencsharpsevendefault.aspx.cs(25,31,25,32): error CS1003: Syntax error, ':' expected
    1>c:usersbenperkdocumentsvisual studio 2017Projectscsharpsevencsharpsevendefault.aspx.cs(28,32,28,33): error CS1003: Syntax error, ':' expected
    1>c:usersbenperkdocumentsvisual studio 2017Projectscsharpsevencsharpsevendefault.aspx.cs(28,39,28,60): error CS1528: Expected ; or = (cannot specify constructor arguments in declaration)
    1>c:usersbenperkdocumentsvisual studio 2017Projectscsharpsevencsharpsevendefault.aspx.cs(28,39,28,40): error CS1003: Syntax error, '[' expected
    1>c:usersbenperkdocumentsvisual studio 2017Projectscsharpsevencsharpsevendefault.aspx.cs(28,60,28,61): error CS1003: Syntax error, ']' expected
    1>c:usersbenperkdocumentsvisual studio 2017Projectscsharpsevencsharpsevendefault.aspx.cs(28,60,28,61): error CS1002: ; expected
    1>c:usersbenperkdocumentsvisual studio 2017Projectscsharpsevencsharpsevendefault.aspx.cs(28,60,28,61): error CS1513: } expected
    1>c:usersbenperkdocumentsvisual studio 2017Projectscsharpsevencsharpsevendefault.aspx.cs(31,32,31,33): error CS1003: Syntax error, ':' expected
    ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

[​IMG]

Figure 1, C# 7 compile issue, how to use C# 7

When I tried doing the same in an ASP.NET Web Site I received these exceptions, Figure 2:

CS8026 Feature 'pattern matchin' is not available in C# 5. Please use language version 7 or greater.
    CS8026 Feature 'interpolated strings' is not available in C# 5. Please use language version 6 or greater.
    CS0151 A switch expression or case label must be a bool, char, integral, enum or corresponding nullable type in C# 6 or earlier
    CS8026 Feature 'nameof operator' is not available in C# 5. Please use language version 6 or greator.

[​IMG]

Figure 2, C# 7 compile issue, how to use C# 7

The solution for me was to execute the following command, Figure 3:

Install-Package Microsoft.Net.Compilers

[​IMG]

Figure 3, C# 7 compile issue, how to use C# 7, solution CS8026

This command adds some configurations into the projects web.config file. I saw some solution state that you need to update the compilerOptions to language:6 for earlier issues, but I did not need to modify this to make things work with C# 7 features. After I installed the Microsoft.Net.Compilers package my application worked as expected, Figure 4. Interesting that I did not need to do this to make a Console application to work…

[​IMG]

Figure 3, C# 7 compile issue, how to use C# 7, solution CS0151

I read someplace that these may be included in some upcoming releases/updates.

Continue reading...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.